This Election Stinks! There are at least 15 reasons why our democracy is fake. I will participate in protests or civil disobedience to highlight the lack of genuine democracy in the UK #FakeDemocracy #RisingUp!
WAKE UP Citizens of the UK! – You don’t have a genuine democracy!
We wish progressive candidates well in the 2017 general election – please vote to get the Tories out! However, the “playing field” is almost vertical – we have a system rigged for the rich and corporations and it is leading to fascism.
Rising Up! is calling for mass civil disobedience, we are building a campaign to highlight our #FakeDemocracy.
Here are some of the things that people might do:
- Hold legal protests at hustings, party offices, election counts, etc
- Sing, hold vigils, raise awareness!
- Disrupt the bias media (examples here)
- Hand out information on How to Fake A Democracy (version without references) (version which doesn't mention voting the Tories out- needed for protests outside polling booths)
- Undertake acts of civil disobedience (this has always been necessary to see change)
- Use chalk spray to do graffiti (it comes off easily, especially on windows)
- Chain yourself to your local Tory party office
- Disrupt meetings temporarily
- Fake orgasms in public (!!) mixed in with messages about How to Fake a Democracy
Please take pictures and invite the press!
Share the film (cumming soon!).
There are various potential consequences for this action, which are outlined in the legal information . We provide this information, not as legal advice, but to highlight possibilities. Key issues are that we ARE NOT trying to interfere with voting, counts or election processes, but potentially use those events to highlight our concerned, exercising our rights to protest.Those participating do so at their own risk. We are proud of people willing to take risks and break laws through non-violent direct action, in order to highlight massive social, economic and environmental injustices.
HOW TO FAKE A DEMOCRACY (for the referenced version with proposals for change see here)
1. Overspend on your campaign to gain advantage, the law is inadequate to deal with this electoral fraud
2. Manipulate people– buy up masses of personal data to develop a profile on individuals so you know how to trigger their loyalty
3. Allow massive media bias – have 80% of the media be owned by your 5 right wing billionaire mates and push the BBC into right wing bias too
4. Create a “gagging law” to silence civil society around election time and fine those who break it
5. Give corporate lobbyists free reign – and let “astroturf” organisations, think tanks and researchers have a strong voice supporting your case without exposing the bias in their funding sources
6. Let bankers dominate party funding – turn your country into a tax haven and dangerously deregulate finance so the bankers will fund you at election time
7. Let tax dodgers dominate party funding– meaning you will also never have a real interest in dealing with tax dodging
8. Give peerages to party donors – and keep the House of Lords as an undemocratic voice of the establishment
9. Have few votes count – by using a first past the post system in which people feel their voices are unheard
10. Change boundaries to favour your party –in the name of “saving money” as you heap more of your mates into the House of Lords
11. Stop people voting – if they are younger than 18 (but let them fight your wars) or a prisoner (despite the fact prison populations reflect issues of race, class and disability)
12. Axe people from the voter register - nearly 800,000 people, and create a higher barrier to reregistering
13. Lie about your policies – lie to voters, tell them what they want to hear and then don’t do it when you have their vote
14. Ignore the will of the people – trash the NHS and force fracking on communities if it lines the pockets of you and your mates
15. Ignore the biggest issues of our day – the environmental crisis and the depth of inequality, by scape-goating people without much voice, such as migrants, poor people and disabled people